Do you find yourself reaching for your phone before your feet even hit the floor in the morning? Do you check your phone before you go to sleep — because, of course, it’s bedside, right? How about checking in the middle of the night if you wake up? During meetings? Dinner with the family? At your child’s soccer game? If you said yes to all or most of these you may need to ask, “do you need a break from social media?”
There are times you just need to step away from everything, clear your head and decompress.
Do You Need A Break From Social Media?
Here are signs you may need to step away from your phone, tablet or computer and turn off the notifications.
- You are suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out) if you’re not constantly checking your phone — especially if you have the notifications turned on. There, truly isn’t anything that is so important you can’t stop looking at your phone and be in the moment.
- You’re losing sleep because you are checking your phone in the middle of the night AND the effects of the blue light from the screen is interrupting your sleep cycle and not allowing you a good, deep restful sleep.
- If you’re not enjoying life’s moments and being in the moment you need a break. Not everything you do needs to be shared on social media. Enjoy your time and don’t worry about who is not seeing what you’re doing.
- You get upset if the photos and videos you’re sharing aren’t getting “enough” likes. Remember, you don’t need to be validated by virtual “friends” on social media.
- You constantly ask, “did you see XYZ on Facebook or Instagram or Snapchat?” Talk about your life, the lives of your friends and family and bond with those right in front of you.
Are you getting burned out on social media with the fighting, the politics and more? Take a break. At least take a digital break a day a week. Choose the day you want to step away and then ask yourself how you feel after a digital diet.
Rex Richard - Founder and CEO, Peak Dynamics LLC Innovator, WordPress and Multisite "Niche Market Master", Writer, Speaker, Trainer, Business Coach, Serial Entrepreneur.