Twitter remains in the news because our President uses it regularly. Twitter is also where many millennials get their news. It is a place where the coversations move quickly and in which hashtags rule and allow you to get your content in the streams and in the minds of others, if you’re sharing relevant content.
Twitter is a powerful social media platform is where many in the media turn when they’re looking for scoops and breaking news.
How can a business owner grow a Twitter following and use it to in turn grow your business?
Is Your Business Using Twitter?
Try some of these Twitter practices on for size:
- You get out of it what you put into it. Spend at least ten minutes a day (at a minimum), several days a week on the platform. Interact with followers and follow others. Follow back people who are following you.
- Post relevant content: Relevant to you, your followers and your expertise.
- What’s trending and how can your business join the conversation? Is there a trend in your niche? Jump on it.
- Use hashtags wisely. If you have a business that lends itself to a hashtag, claim it and use it. For example if you write a weekly business tip, “claim” the hashtag #TuesdayBizTip and use it to provide a business tip on Tuesday. See how that works? There is also “MotivationMonday, #WordlessWednesday, #ThrowbackThursday #FollowFriday and others. If you’re searching for a topic, use a hashtag and a keyword in the search box.
- Be sociable and say hello when you get a new follower. Welcome them to the party! Don’t send automated welcome messages — you’re not fooling anyone.
- Retweet content you enjoy that your followers might benefit from.
- Don’t spam your followers by sending dozens of Tweets per hour. If you want to be that involved in the conversation, spread the Tweets out over the course of the day. If you don’t have time to do this “in real time” use a program like HootSuite to schedule your posts. Don’t use only schedulers to schedule your Tweets — you need to be there in real time, some of the time.
Are we connected there? @PeakDynamics
How often do you use Twitter? Are your ideal clients there?
Rex Richard - Founder and CEO, Peak Dynamics LLC Innovator, WordPress and Multisite "Niche Market Master", Writer, Speaker, Trainer, Business Coach, Serial Entrepreneur.