Utilizing social media effectively and efficiently is a task that entrepreneurs need to understand. There will come a time though when you will be asking, “should you outsource your social media?” That time may come when you’re simply too busy with the core competency of your business and social media should be kept up with – but it doesn’t have to be you doing all the work.
Should you outsource your social media?
Keep in mind that you don’t need to outsource social media, but if you’re not keeping up with it as much or as well as you should, then you may want to hire someone to do this for you. If you don’t know how to effectively do social media, then that’s a reason to outsource.
How can you outsource?
- Find a social media manager with a proven track record. Ask for referrals, look at the work this person has already performed and trust your instinct.
- Know what your expectations are. Do you simply want someone to keep up with your posting? Do you want someone who can exponentially grow your business’s social media following and posting? Have clear expectations going into it.
- Listen to the expertise the social media manager brings to your business and take his or her advice, after all you’re bringing that person in to help you.
What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing?
- It frees your time to focus on your core competency.
- This person will have a wider and deeper knowledge of social platforms than you might.
- They bring out of the box thinking to your social strategy
- You will have to give up control and trust this professional
- You will need to work their fee into your budget
- You will have to spend some time getting them up to speed on your brand, mission and vision
Whether you outsource this project or keep it in house, building a social media presence may make your business more viable and profitable — especially if your competition is active on social.