How long have you had your website? How long have you been blogging? Has your business changed and evolved since you started it? If that’s the case, and it is for many people, but is it time to rethink your keywords? It might be.
If you’re like many people, you set up your website and you don’t really think about it too much. Even if you’re blogging, you may not give your website too much of a cursory glance. You may want to set aside some time and determine whether the keywords you’re using are still valid.
Is It Time To Rethink Your Keywords?
Why would you need to rethink keywords and key phrases? Here are a few reasons:
- Has your business evolved? Have you started offering new products or services and stopped offering others? Have you more finely tuned your niche? If that’s the case, you may want to update the wording on your website and begin using newer keywords.
- Is your customer still thinking of you and your business the way they did in the early days of your business? If you’re not sure, think like a customer. If you were looking for the service that you provide, what words would you use to do a Google search? Think about those words and determine if they are on your site. Ask a customer how he or she found you — this could be great insight!
- Are you still reaching your ideal client? If not, why not? If could be that people are finding your website, but they may not truly understand if you’re the person for them and that makes them not the right person for you. Look for anything on your site that is vague and clear it up.
- Google yourself. Once you think you know the keywords and phrases your ideal clients are using, Google them and see if you show up on the first page of a search. If not, who does? Can you tell why they’re showing up and you’re not? Analyze their site and compare it to your own.
- Are you using the correct keywords in your blog posts and in hashtags you’re using on your site? If not, you need to start. Download and use a plug in like SEO by Yoast (if you’re on WordPress) as this will help you understand and amp up your keyword usage to help your blog posts get found.
When is the last time you audited your site and your content? If you can’t remember when it was, you need to get it on your calendar and do it soon!
Rex Richard - Founder and CEO, Peak Dynamics LLC Innovator, WordPress and Multisite "Niche Market Master", Writer, Speaker, Trainer, Business Coach, Serial Entrepreneur.